A Teacher's Perspective on Bill 115

 
 
While scrolling through facebook I read a post of a teacher's perspective on Bill 115 and was intrigued! I'm not a teacher and I am not a parent but I realize how intense this situation is getting and how much it is affecting both the teachers and the students!
Thought that it was a great post to share with you so here it is...
 
Written by Melissa Hunte
 
I have easily coached more than 100+ students at Sinclair SS. in the last 6 years. I have arrived early, left late, went to countless tournaments all over Ontario... I've won 5 LOSSA gold medals and 2 OFSAA medals (bronze and gold) in Girls Volleyball, and 1 LOSSA gold medal in Girls Basketball (not to mention finishing in 3rd place twice)... I have ordered uniforms, organized pizza parties, I have driven girls home when their parents can't pick them up and it's too dark to walk home... I have planned and executed practices (basketball) and 'supervised' others (volleyball - LOL Christine Hathaway Davis). I have encouraged, motivated, pushed, rallied behind numerous female athletes to strive for their very, very best, support each of their teammates and wear their Celtic jersey with pride and respect. Most recently, I have co-convened Girls Basketball (AAAA) for all of Durham, which was ridiculous amounts of work, day in and day out... Without a convenor, sports do not run. I've met with other coaches, travelled to tons of schools, ensured the safety of my little charges all so that their high school experience is ENRICHED with athletics, camaraderie, character-building and sportsmanship. I did all of that, and so much more that's eluding me, all because I WANTED TO. I left an Alternative school in Durham JUST SO I COULD COACH. Just so I, Melissa Hunte, could contribute to the lives of girls the way my high school coach contributed to my life. I did so just so I could, maybe, be a positive role model and influence on a young student, watch them grow, develop and mature through athletics and sport. As much as I yell and carry-on on the sideline of the court, there's no place I'd rather be. Leading practice, preparing for games, playing games, seeing a team come together, 14 random girls gel as teammates, is powerful, moving and incredibly satisfying. I love my girls. I love my teams. I cry at the end of EVERY season. I cry at EVERY Athletic Banquet and Commencement Ceremony each year when I see how these student-athletes have grown, matured and become young adults... School isn't a FRACTION of what it can be without Extra Curricular activities, whether it's athletics, arts (drama, music, dance), student council, robotics, et cetera. And I'm here to tell you, folks, that Bill 115 has totally and completely decimated that! If you are a teacher, you know what I'm talking about. If you are a parent with children in the education system, if you haven't figured out the ramifications and consequences that Bill 115 will have on your child's education, you're about to find out. This Bill is atrocious. It has truly scarred me. And the truth is I do not know where I will land and how I will come out of this as a coach and as a teacher. Because I am beyond furious. And if this Minister and her junkie of a 'Party Leader' think goodwill will be restored in schools because they've enacted Bill 115, but will subsequently repeal it once it's in place, they're sadly, sadly mistaken.
Who do you think these young girls go to when they're sad, upset, hurt? When they've lost their virginity, broke up with their boyfriend, had a fight with their siblings, best friend or YOU, their parent?! In many cases, they go to their COACH. I can't begin to tell you the tears, heartache and heartbreak I've dealt with over the years. Birth control issues, abortion issues, mental wellness issues. Coaches are more than just coaches. Sometimes we're the lifeline for your kids. And this government has seriously threatened that...

Comments

Popular Posts