A Sister To Celebrate... Olunike Adeliyi


A Sister To Celebrate


This “A Sister To Celebrate” segment is highlighting Olunike Adeliyi  who is someone I admire for her drive and tenacity!  She is a mother and actress who has performed in theatres throughout Canada and the U.S. and has also performed on television and film. Olunike certainly has her goals set and continues to challenge herself by pursuing her dreams. I am so happy that she has allowed us to learn a little bit about who she is, what motivates her and what she is currently involved in.

Please continue reading to be inspired by this talented women!
 
OLUNIKE ADELIYI


 
What is your age range?
a) 18-25, b) 26-40, c) 41-55 d) 56-75+

 Age 36

 
Where were you born, raised and what city/country do you currently live in now?

I was born in Toronto Canada and raised in Toronto, St. Anne's Jamaica, and Brampton, Ontario. I currently split my time between LA, NY, and TO.

 
What is your educational background / training?

My educational background consists of a few institutions. I studied business marketing at Humber College in Etobicoke, then quickly moved on to study with the Canadian Academy of Method Acting in Toronto. I then proceeded to earn my degree in theatre at The American Academy of Dramatic Arts in New York City. I've continued my practice at The Professional Actors Lab in Toronto Canada and Los Angeles, CA and currently study at Lonsdale Smith Studios in Toronto and Los Angeles. I never stop fine tuning my craft and never will. Other than technical studies, I'm a citizen of the world and my classroom is being engaged and aware in life while I travel the globe.

 
What was the first job you ever had?

 The first job I ever had was working at Kentucky Fried Chicken. Now I believe it's called KFC...lol.

 
What are you doing currently? Passions? Aspirations?

I am currently a mother, an actress, producer, and philanthropist. My passion is to follow my dreams as an artist, give back by helping those that want to actively pursue their purpose, and continue to travel the world with charity organizations feeding and nursing the less fortunate. I have two companies called the Toronto Monologue Slam (adults) and the Youth Slam (13-19), which focused on artists wanting to practice their craft in acting in front of industry professionals that can possibly help them break into the business. You can follow us on our sites www.toslam.com and www.youthslam.com for more details. Overall my passion is people.

 
What was the journey like to get you to where you are today both personally and professionally?

My journey in the entertainment world wasn't an easy one, but I always saw the possibilities. I started out doing music videos, but never really the lead girl for many reasons. However, I quickly turned my attention to educating myself in the arts and knew the video girl route wasn't my plight. I was a young single mom and I needed to raise my daughter knowing her worth by knowing mine. So my duty was to follow my dreams in acting through education even if it was the longer route. I've heard a lot of NO's of course, but at the same time, I don't hear them. No's and Cant's aren't a part of my vocabulary. Throughout the years I've landed major commercials campaigns, roles in major Hollywood films, TV series, and I continue to perform in theatre. The industry has been good to me. If you work hard diligently eventually the YES's come because everyone starts to see your mastery. Mastery is a beautiful thing and to be done with grace at all times, even when no one believes in you. I will work on mine till my dying day. Mastery builds character.

 
What is the best life lesson you were ever given?

I learned so many life lessons and for awhile I was saying my biggest lesson was maintaining your grace through adversity. However, I'm in a new chapter of my life now and continue to evolve. My new life lesson that I've learned is, "Forgiveness is key". I have an incredible gift of forgiving, which was given to me by God. My love for myself and others developed this characteristic over the years. Forgiveness has unburdened my heart and left me with understanding. I'm happy. I blame it on my craft :-)

 
What advice do you have for people wanting to follow in your footsteps?

My advice for others wanting to follow my career in acting is GET EDUCATED!!!

 
Can you tell us 3 of the goals you have in the next 3 years?

My first goal in the next three years are paying for my daughter's University education and encouraging her the entire way. She attends University in the UK for architecture and loves it.
My second goal is to produce a reality based TV show for actors trying to break into the industry.
My third goal is to love even more people I meet along my travel and learn from listening to their stories. I want to tour South America next.

 
What is one thing you would have told your teenage self to prepare for the future now that you have had more life experience?

My advice to my teenage self would be, "Everything is going to be okay, just keep your heart open".
 
 
 Thank you Olunike for sharing a piece of your journey and insight with us on what motivates you! Your ambition, determination and positive outlook is absolutely refreshing.  We will continue to watch you rise as a star and cheer you on as you attain each goal!
 
 www.olunike.com

 




Comments

Popular Posts