Perspective is Everything...


Robin Williams
 Source



It's funny how from a afar everything in another person's life could look so perfect but yet they are drowning inside. The sad part is that because from the outside everything looks so perfect and their lifestyle is so coveted, many will never think to ask "How are you really doing?.
I know I fall into the standard greeting of "Hi, How are you?" and most of the time I expect to hear the standard response, "I'm fine thanks" and then I keep it moving. But there have been times when after I have received that response, I stop to ask, "ok, so now how are you really doing?" and it is amazing the responses that you get when you catch someone off guard that way. Most of the time, I then hear the real deal and often it is details on how they feel that the world is crashing down around them or how overwhelmed they feel. 
None of that would have been apparent unless I asked the question that let them know that even if I don't have a lot of time at that moment, I actually do care to know how you are really doing. I think we all need to do that more often. I am amazed even within my own small social circle at the situations I hear about when I ask that somewhat probing question because to me they look fine, they sound fine, and most of the time their lives look WAY more exciting than my own. But I am learning not to be fooled by the surface stuff that people only allow you to see, not to be fooled by the pictures that you may see on someone's social media page that show them always having a good time, surrounded by a lot of people and always smiling, not to be fooled by the things that person has been able to acquire in life and the joy that they may bring other people when they are around... there is a saying that I heard awhile ago that has always stuck with me and although I cannot remember the exact quote it goes a little something like this...
You can be in a room full of people, and still feel alone.
(even one that is filled with those who love and care about you)
This is true for so many people.
It's time to stop and smell the roses for ourselves with prioritizing self care but it is also time to take that extra moment to see how your family member, friend, coworker, or acquaintance is really doing.
You might be surprised by the answer based on the perspectives you hold of that person and their lifestyle. 

Comments

Popular Posts