Your Opinion......My Hair.


I have had several conversations lately about natural hair.  The topics range from texture, style, length, health. etc.  Now primarily these conversation are about natural hair on black females and one of the things that seemed to be a common thread was how free other people feel to give you their opinion on what your hair looks like.
I happen to have natural hair. It has been that way for 4+ years now and I have gotten used to the comments, the random "can I touch it" questions, the stares, the "how long will you keep it that way" question, the "does it just grow out of your head that way" question, and the list goes on and on.
 
Now when I come into contact with women who have just recently gone natural I can see the same insecurities in them that I felt myself when I first decided that going natural would be best for me and my hair. The "everyone is looking at me" feeling, the "I don't feel like myself" feeling, the "can't wait for my hair to grow out longer" feeling. But the thing I can't stand to hear is how the opinions of others makes them feel.
They have gone through the process of doing what is best for them and then someone decides to go out of their way to let them know that they don't approve.
I remember the feeling I had when that would happen to me and it makes me angry.
Especially when it comes from those who you really have no relationship with.

Anyhoo, just a quick rant because I experienced this very thing today with comments made about my own hair.  However I believe it was in the person's best interests (and perhaps mine) that I kept my true comments inside my head. 



Comments

Popular Posts