The Proposal!


Date: April 24, 2012 – now labelled as a day I will never forget!
Time: Approximately 9:00pm
Location: Burlington Waterfront
Proposed by: KW
So April 24, 2012 is a Tuesday, a random Tuesday… there is nothing special that occurs on April 24, 2012 so I was certainly not expecting anything.
Days before I had mentioned to K that I wanted to go to Ikea… for various reasons it just didn’t work out and we were not able to go. So on the Tuesday, April 24, I went to K's house straight after work and as we made dinner plans I asked if we could go to Ikea. K being his laid back self said “Yes we can go, where do you wanna eat though? Maybe we’ll do that first” Okay no problem, eat then Ikea..great!
Then he mentions, “How about we go to Burlington?”
My first thought was, “Really? You wanna go that far? Okay!”  What I actually said was, "Okay no problem, let’s go!" But not without thinking about the fact that there’s gotta be an Ikea out that way so we’ll still be able to go.
Now going to Burlington is not unusual because he likes to drive and doesn’t see why things have to be at your doorstep for you to enjoy them so there wasn’t a hint there.
On our way to Burlington we talked about all kinds of different things, as usual so I didn’t detect any nervousness or that he was unusually quiet or anything.  We ended up going to a restaurant called The Rude Native which is quite close to the waterfront and enjoyed dinner and conversation. Funny enough, we did start talking about his friend's wedding and got into a conversation about why I wasn’t there with him etc etc…
Dinner was great and once we finished up and headed out of the restaurant I started thinking about Ikea again…and noticed that we had started walking in the direction of the waterfront as he said “Let’s go take a walk”   So, I asked as we got outside….”So are we going to Ikea?” LOL. Yes, yes I did. I wanted to go! He casually looked at his watch and I realized that that probably meant that it might be too late to go and actually look at anything so I remember saying , “Oh I guess we might not catch it before it closes” and him agreeing and saying, “Ya maybe we’ll leave it for another time”. 
Me thinking: “Again! Ah man, I wanted to go geeeeeeeeeez”
Yes, Yes I did.  But my ridiculousness (yup, it’s a word) doesn’t stop there.
We headed over to the water and I noticed instantly that there were a lot of geese and A LOT of geese poop all over the boardwalk. Are you kidding? I hate geese and their poop so I was not impressed.  We proceeded to walk and I could tell that K wanted to walk along the boardwalk but me being me, started complaining about all the geese poop, then started obsessing over it and making sure I didn’t step on it and making sure he didn’t step on it either. Yes, I made him jump over geese poop, steering him away from it, yelling about it to alert him that he almost stepped on some… just ridiculous.  Eventually I just wouldn’t walk any further. There were too many geese that I thought were gonna “get us” and too much geese poop on the ground that I just didn’t want to go any further.
I now realize that he was probably trying to get me to a romantic spot on the boardwalk…(sorry Baby!)



But him being the quick thinking man he is, suggested we walk over to another nice spot on the boardwalk and it was much better because there were no geese, or poop piles in sight! We walked over closer to the water (with me still looking out for geese) and once closer we went back to the topic we were talking about at the end of dinner and the last thing he asked (sarcastically) was “so do you have any other concerns about my expressions or attitude? 
C: (laughs) then replied No, I know I overreact sometimes
K: Ya, you do but it’s okay though……..I think we are good together
C: Yes, I think we balance each other out, my part is a little bigger though (we both laughed)
K: Well, all I know is that you make me very happy
C: You make me very happy too
Then all I remember him saying was “And that is why…………………….”
Then I saw him take his hand out of his pocket with the ring box and then down on his knee as he opened the box and then I tuned back in when he said “Will You Marry Me?”
Oh My Gosh.Oh My Gosh.Oh My Gosh.Oh My Gosh.Oh My Gosh.Oh My Gosh
Lots of “Are you Serious? More Oh My Gosh’s and then a few more K, are you serious right now??
Then……… YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!
We hugged, kissed, I cried, more hugging, more kissing, more crying, squealing, dancing, ELATION!

Pure Joy, Happiness, Excitement, Nervousness, Anxious, Overjoyed, Ecstatic, Shocked… so many different feelings run through your mind at that moment. I remember asking him if he was nervous and he replied “A little bit” with a cute smile on his face.
It hit me in that moment that I am looking at my future husband officially. What an overwhelming feeling…I think I started crying again in that moment.
And the RING!!! What a beautiful, perfect ring, specifically picked out for me, with only me in mind, and just right.
I love it!
 I will never forget that night. He made it perfect and romantic and there is no way that I would have suspected that it would happen and that is exactly how I wanted it. A random Tuesday, nothing special about April 24, 2012 except that I got engaged to the man of my dreams.
I Love Him Completely.
C.

Comments

Popular Posts