Random post.....SICK DAYS...


Sick Days……. Why is it so hard for some of us to take a sick day??? Yesterday I had a really bad migraine and knew that I could not go in to work. But I also had a two hour session with myself very early in the morning (start time 6am) that entailed the back and forth conversation of “Should I take a sick day? Maybe I should just go in”…… WHY?
Now the back and forth thing does not have anything to do with where I work because I actually have an amazing manager who is more than understanding about taking time off when you need it especially a sick day.  I guess I am just like that. I put so much weight on a sick day and often end up with tons of hours at the end of the fiscal year that I haven’t taken and not because I didn’t need to. I think it is worse when it is a headache or stomach issue where no one can see it but you know that the best thing for you to do is to go home and lay down. I mean when I have a cold/flu and the coughing, sneezing etc is involved I find it so much easier to take a sick day for fear of infecting anyone else and it is also so obvious to everyone that I am not feeling well.  Why do I feel I have to prove that I am really sick and stress myself out to just make a simple call or send a quick email to say that I cannot make it in to work today??? Well I realize it is because there are so many people who make a habit of taking sick days as vacations days and I definitely do not ever want to be lumped into that category! In doing some quick research to see if I have a legitimate problem when stressing myself over this (haha) I stumbled upon this web page on the net.  http://www.wikihow.com/Call-in-Sick-when-You-Just-Need-a-Day-Off
Now THIS is exactly why I stress out, who wants to be the person who is known for creating this production?…..#nothankyou……haha
Anyhoo… thankfully I am feeling much better today and the weather is beautiful for the start of this long weekend!

Have a Safe and Happy Canada Day Everyone!

Comments

  1. If you are "truly" sick, then the "guilty" feeling would be an issue. We as humans are so consumed of proving ourselves or displaying a form of sickness it has crowded or judgement. Be honest with oneself knowing you are no good at work if you are "truly" sick.

    Now, for those that fabricate and have to be creative, their time will come. My job 2 "mental health days" per year. Everyone need a day away from the office without being sick. We all need time to ourselves away from the office.
    .... Celebrating Sisterhood for Atlanta, Ga

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohmygosh...that web page was fantastic. I loved the part about the day before and the day after you have called in sick. You are right about the struggles to take a day when you really need it, and I don't know why we worry about what people will think when we do call in sick. I find my debate is "what if I really need it later in the year?" so silly considering, we probably "really need it" at the time or we wouldn't be having the 2 hour convo with ourselves in the morning!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts